Frequently Asked Questions
Guidelines and Application Forms
- QThe Guidelines state that eligibility is given to candidates of all nationalities who were born on or after January 1, 1991. Is there a minimum age limit?
- QDo I need to submit a recommendation letter from my teacher?
- ANo, you don’t.
- QIs there any way to check if my application package of documents, DVD, etc. which I sent by post are received at the Secretariat?
- AThe Secretariat sends an E-mail message to acknowledge receipt of the application package.
If you do not receive this E-mail message even 10 days after your submission, please contact the Secretariat.
- QI don’t know how to upload the video data.
- AFirst of all, online application must be fully completed. Within 3 days after the completion of online application (within 24 hours on or after November 12, 2018), the SIMC Secretariat will send a message to your E-mail address given by you at the time of your online application. This E-mail message from the Secretariat will provide you with an individual link for uploading your video data.
Information on how to upload is also included in this E-mail message, so please read it carefully and proceed with uploading. You can send a file up to 5 GB and there is no restriction on the number of files for uploading.
- QPiano Section: For uploading the video data or sending the DVD containing my performance of the repertoire pieces for the Pre-Selection, is it acceptable to do recordings on different days at several different recording venues?
- AYes, it is acceptable.
(For the Violin Section, all pieces of the Applicant’s choice from the repertoire must be recorded on the same day at the same venue.)
- QPiano Section: In regard to the video data to be uploaded or the DVD to be submitted for the Pre-Selection, the Guidelines state that the performance duration must not exceed 45 minutes in total. Is there a minimum limit for the recording duration?
- QWhen I prepare a DVD for the Pre-Selection, may I record the pieces into separate tracks (not all the pieces in one track)?
- AYes, you may record each piece onto individual track.
- QWhen will the Pre-Selection results be sent out?
- AResults of the Pre-Selection are scheduled to be sent out to all the applicants by Friday, February 15, 2019. The result will also be posted on the official website of the SIMC by the same day.
Preliminary Round through the Final Round
- QPiano Section: In regards to the Preliminary Round, is it acceptable to perform the same pieces which I performed for the Pre-Selection?
- AYes, it is acceptable.
- QIf I am unable to register at the place and time designated by the Secretariat, is it possible for a proxy to register on behalf?
- ANo. The Contestant himself/herself MUST register in person.
- QWill the Secretariat provide opportunities to practice during the Competition?
- AThe following practice opportunities shall be provided free of charge during the Competition.
- 1. For the Piano Section:
A room equipped with a piano for the hours below, starting from the day after the Registration date.
|Preliminary Round Contestants
||Four hours a day
||Eight hours a day
||Twelve hours a day
- 2. For the Violin Section:
One rehearsal with the orchestra prior to the Preliminary Round. As a rule, rehearsal time will be limited to 40 minutes.
- 3. For both Sections:
One rehearsal with an orchestra in the Semifinal and Final Rounds. As a rule, rehearsal time (including the briefing with the conductor) will be limited to as below:
|For Semifinalists of both sections
|For Finalists of both sections
- QI was told that an invitation letter is required at the time of application to obtain a Japanese Visa to enter Japan.
- AThe Secretariat will send you an invitation letter upon request. It may take a while to prepare and send the invitation letter, so please contact the Secretariat as early as possible.
- QHow many applicants pass each stage?
- AThe number of people who pass each judging round for each section is as follows: