Repertoire Piano Section
The Applicant must upload the video data of his or her performance of all pieces listed below (①②③) or must record his or her performance of them on a DVD (DVD-Video format*).
The performance duration must not exceed 45 minutes in total.
In the case of choosing to upload the video data, only the following information shall be included in the filename: the Applicant’s name in full, and the full titles of the chosen pieces.
(NO additional information such as date/place of recording, etc. shall be included in the filename.)
If the Applicant chooses to record on DVD, on the label side of the DVD, the Applicant’s name in full and the full titles of the chosen pieces must be clearly written in block letters. Also, on the DVD case, the following must be clearly written in block letters: the Applicant’s name in full, the full titles of the chosen pieces, and the date and place they were recorded. (In addition, those who apply online must clearly indicate on the label side of the DVD the identification number issued at the time of the online application.)
- ① One piece from the piano sonatas by Haydn, Mozart, or Beethoven (all movements)
- ② One of the following pieces by Chopin: Etudes op.10 or Etudes op.25
- ③ Solo piece(s) of the Applicant’s choice
- ・There is no restriction on the duration of each piece.
- ・Solo piece(s) must NOT be concertos.
- ・The recording must be made on or after November 1, 2017.
- ・The video data or DVD must be unedited, taken from the same camera angle throughout and must clearly show the Applicant’s hands and face.
- ・In case of Piano Sonata, the Applicant may record it in parts, by each movement, but NO editing within a movement is admissible. In other cases, NO editing is admissible within a piece.
- ・The video data or DVD may be excluded from judgment if it was perceived that the hand movement of the Applicant during his or her performance does not synchronize with the sound.
- ・An automatic audio volume control function of video camera (AGC, ALC, etc.) shall not be used. This is because it reduces dynamics and nuances and often results in a recording which does not accurately represent the performance. The video data or DVD shall not have extremely loud (or quiet) sound volume, and shall not contain noise.
- ・The video data or DVD must NOT contain, in image or in sound, the name of the Applicant, as the Pre-Selection will be carried out anonymously.
- *The DVD-Video format is a the standard created by the DVD Forum, and is the recording medium playable on commonly used DVD players.
02. Preliminary Round
The Contestant shall perform a recital program which consists of any solo pieces selected freely, with a total performance duration that exceeds 35 minutes but does not exceed 40 minutes. However, the program must include one piece or more which last(s) 10 minutes or more in total from the works of the composers listed below.
- ・There is no restriction on the number of pieces and duration of each piece. However, all movements must be performed in case of selecting a Piano Sonata to perform.
- ・The pieces that include exceptional playing techniques such as inner playing, prepared piano, tone clusters must not be selected.
03. Semifinal Round
The Contestant shall select one piece from the list below and perform.
- Beethoven: Piano Concerto No.3 in C minor, op.37
- Beethoven: Piano Concerto No.4 in G major, op.58
04. Final Round
The Contestant shall perform both ① and ② below.
- ① The Contestant shall select one piece from the list below (The Bärenreiter edition shall be used) .
- Mozart: Piano Concerto in B flat major, K450
- Mozart: Piano Concerto in D major, K451
- Mozart: Piano Concerto in G major, K453
- Mozart: Piano Concerto in B flat major, K456
- Mozart: Piano Concerto in F major, K459
- ② The Contestant shall select one piece from the list below.
- Beethoven: Piano Concerto No.5 in E flat major, op.73 “Emperor”
- Chopin: Piano Concerto No.1 in E minor, op.11
Chopin: Piano Concerto No.2 in F minor, op.21
- Liszt: Piano Concerto No.1 in E flat major, S124
Liszt: Piano Concerto No.2 in A major, S125
- Schumann: Piano Concerto in A minor, op.54
- Brahms: Piano Concerto No.1 in D minor, op.15
Brahms: Piano Concerto No.2 in B flat major, op.83
- Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No.1 in B flat minor, op.23
- Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No.2 in C minor, op.18
Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No.3 in D minor, op.30
Rachmaninov: Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini, op.43
- Ravel: Piano Concerto in G
- Bartók: Piano Concerto No.3, Sz119
- Prokofiev: Piano Concerto No.2 in G minor, op.16
Prokofiev: Piano Concerto No.3 in C major, op.26
<Notes about the performance>
- ・All performances shall be performed from memory.
- ・All performances shall be open to the public.
- ・In the selection process, performances may be shortened in some part(s) in the interests of time.
<Note about changing the pieces>
- If a Contestant wishes to change his or her program for the Preliminary, Semifinal and/or Final Rounds, he or she must give notice to the Secretariat in writing no later than Friday, March 15, 2019. (Fax or E-mail is acceptable.)